Wednesday, March 3, 2010

SPICE CABINET

Spice CabinetQ: I bought this antique spice cabinet at the estate sale of my mother's best friend, who was an avid antiques collector. The cabinet is wooden. Behind the center door there are two small shelves with large holes in them, obviously meant to hold bottles of flavoring. The clock face, door inset, and drawers are glazed ceramic. Can you tell me where this spice cabinet was made, how old it is, and the value?

A: Your spice cabinet was probably made in the Netherlands. The words on the front of the large drawers are Dutch for coffee (koffie), flour (meel), rice (rijst), sugar (suiker), tea (thee) and vermicelli, a type of pasta. The smaller drawers have labels for various spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, and other spices. Value, $300.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a very unusual Sabino signed piece, I think it may be a piece he did under commision for a cruise ship. I have never seen any work of his that is similar, however I am far from an expert on Sabino. This is a brass table lamp with 4 illuminated sculptures. Can anyone tell me where I may get some help on this one?

Roger said...

I've had a very similar spice cabinet also with the door and small shelf with holes with all the ceramic drawers marked Czechoslovakia. The front of the door on mine had the Czech word for eggs, and eggs did lie perfectly on top of the holes. I did opt to keep mine refrigerated though!