Tuesday, July 1, 2008


Tips on Care and Repairs

Last week's tip about ivory included a suggestion about holding the ivory near an open flame and sniffing the smoke for a telltale odor. It is not a good idea for an amateur to try this; the ivory may be burned. The website given in the tip had an incorrect letter. It should have been iovinc.com.


Anonymous said...

The best way to check Ivory for authenticity is to poke it with a hot pin in an area that won't show.
Ivory will not be affected in any way and you'll know it's real.

Anonymous said...

When I read this tip I was reminded that was how I was told to check the authenticity of the amber I bought in Russia some years ago. I didn't think that was a good thing to do. If one had fake ivory or amber, it would be ruined then you'd really have nothing. There must be a better way to test ivory and amber.