Wednesday, March 25, 2009

RW BAVARIA MARK

Town Hall
Q: I have a bowl that is marked RW Bavaria on the bottom. Can you tell me who made it?

A: Rudolf Wachter started a porcelain decorating business in Germany in 1893. He was technical director of Wachter & Furbringer from 1914 to 1917. When Furbringer left the company in 1917, Wachter took over and the company name became Rudolf Wachter Porzellanmanufaktury. This mark was used by the company beginning about 1927. Much of the company's production was exported to the United States and other countries. The company closed in 1974.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a few old pieces of china with no manufacturer's mark. How does one find the value of such, if any? To me there is sentimental value as I think they belonged to my husband's maternal grandmother.

Anonymous said...

I have a saucer that has either japanese or chinese charcters on the bottom but no other markings. The edge seems to be trimmed in silver and it has a fish in the center. The outer part has a fishnet pattern. The color looks like cobalt blue.

I would send a picture but I do not see a way to do it.

Do you know of this?

You can email me at charles_osborne@hotmail.com.

rblackburn said...

I have a 9 3/8" diameter, 2 3/4" high bowl with designed "random" "holes" in the sides and a R W Bavaria printed on the bottom in green enclosed in a "shield". Value plz

Anonymous said...

I am trying to identify a bowl that was given to me. The makers mark is a triangle with Bavaria written around the tip of the triangle; an R on the left side; a C on the right side and a W under the triagle. All letters are in gold. Can you help me?

misha said...

I have a complete table setting for 6 that is orange in colour. On the saucers and plates and inside the tea cups is what appears to be handpainted birds, butterflies and bugs on a mother of pearl background. The makers mark on the bottoms is a capital RW inside a circle with made in germany, all done in gold. Can anyone tell me anything about this set? It is strictly for sentimental value as it belonged to my grandparents and I would like to pass it along to my daughters family. Thank you. h.bonnenfant@gmail.com