Wednesday, June 25, 2008

PLANKENHAMMER

Q: I have an ironstone platter marked "Plankenhammer" with an eagle, swastika, and the date 1941. Can you tell me more about these marks?

A: Porcelain Factory Plankenhammer was in business in Plankenhammer, Bavaria, Germany, from 1908 to c.1978. This crossed-hammers mark with the word Flass (flowed) was used from c.1920 until the factory closed. The eagle carrying the swastika was the insignia for the Luftwaffe, the German air force, from 1933 until 1945. Your platter was made for use by the Luftwaffe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The word "flass" is actually Floss, a town in Bavaria not far from the border with the Czech Republic.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know the value of this platter?

Anonymous said...

How did this person
'come about' this platter...
my curiousity is obvious...odd that THEY didn't comment on the Swastika !

Unknown said...

I inherited a set of what appear to be silver coffee cups and the solid white with gold strip around the edge. On the back it has the Plankenhammer Floss Bavaria with the crossed hammers. I was told that they were actually used by Hitler (who by the way I do NOT admire). Is there anywhere I can find out about these cups and saucers?