Wednesday, May 5, 2010


Copper, according to a recent scientific study, has antimicrobial properties. That means Victorian copper hardware, plumbing pipes, copper pots and pans, and even copper jewelry of the past should be used in our new green world.


Anonymous said...

Copper is indeed a good conductor. Because of that Sages caution having copper around us, as it retains impressions and many negative influences are then passed on to us. For that reason They advise never to wear it.

Anonymous said...

I would be very cautious about thinking that "copper is good for you". Many minerals in trace amount are beneficial, but that doesn't mean people should try to consume lots of them on purpose. Copper poisoning used to be much more common (and can be deadly), but is very rare these days since most copper cookware/serveware is well lined with another metal. Cooking/serving directly on an uncoated copper surface can lead to poisoning, especially if there is corrosion or oxidation (verdigris) present in the item.

Anonymous said...

Copper should not be in direct contact with most foods, and is lined
with another metal for safety. Tin is often used as a lining for
copper cookware, and poses no health problems. Unlined copper can
pose a problem.

Cookware Safety - COPPER COOKWARE

"Copper is an excellent conductor of heat, especially good for
top-of-range cooking. Cooks often prefer copper cookware for delicate
sauces and foods that must be cooked at precisely controlled

Copper cookware is usually lined with tin or stainless steel. The Food
and Drug Administration (FDA) cautions against using unlined copper
for general cooking because the metal is relatively easily dissolved
by some foods with which it comes in contact, and in sufficient
quantities can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea."

Anonymous said...

Copper is a poison, definitely not good for you. The reason it's antibacterial is that it kills bacteria, like other pesticides, and it can have harmful effects on humans. Please learn more about it and reconsider your statements -- Joe Bauman, Salt Lake City

riptide said...

All these comments about copper are quite interesting (well, amusing). Who are these "Sages" who "caution about having copper around us", and why should we listen to them??? The antimicrobial properties of copper have been realized and exploited since the dawn of civilization. If the FDA is concerned to the point of cautioning about copper, then why is copper pipe so desireable for plumbing? I'd rather have my drinking water travel through copper than through plastic ... anyday. Just Google "copper" and "antimicrobial". Silver is also anti-microbial.

Anonymous said...

Wearing copper jewelry does as much for your health as pasting the letters CU on your forehead everyday.

Copper jewelry is often pretty, but it will not make you healthier.

I'm really surprised to see such nonsense propagated by Kovels. I usually expect better research from them.

Anonymous said...

I was taught in optometry school that too much copper can result in getting Wilson's Disease.
When I was stationed in Turkey, during the Iranian hostage crisis, I watched all locally produced copper cookware treated with a tin alloy on the inside to prevent the harmful effects of cooking in a copper pot.
The National Park Service regularly cleans out fish pools where people heve tossed many copper coins, as it is poisoning the water and fish.
Lester in north Georgia (USA)